Your RVs’ constant exposure to nature’s elements and unforgiving climate changes makes them more prone to “wear and tear” throughout their lifetime. And whether you like it or not, as a motorhome owner, you will also have to face maintenance and repair issues.
One of the potential repairs you will go through is replacing RV window glass; however, considering the replacement cost, doing it yourself looks like a better option.
So, now is the time to learn how to replace RV window glass.
Table of Contents
Like any DIY project, RV window glass replacement will require careful planning starting with the tools, down to the windows measurement and the replacement process.
Tools You Will Need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Putty Knife
- Protective Gloves
- Silicone Sealant
- Putty tape
- Water Spray Bottle
- Tape Measure
- An RV window repair kit with screws
- A compass, paper, and a marker
- Replacement window pane
- A friend to help you
Generally, it will not require many tools to remove an RV window glass. But, it is also important to note the type of RV you own to know if you need additional tools for your project.
Step 1: Remove the old window
Before taking out the last few screws, you’ll need your assistant to hold up the window from the outside.
Then, start by removing the window handle inside the RV using the Phillips-head screwdriver, then take out the 12 – 20 screws (varying due to the window dimensions) from the inner window trim ring.
After removing the inner window trimming, go outside the RV and remove the glass from the RV window frame with a putty knife. You can start with the flange to gradually take the frame off.
Lastly, scrape off the sealant and putty tapes from the window frame.
This step will apply to both framed and frameless RV window replacement.
Step 2: Measure the window opening
It is crucial to measure the window opening. If you do not do that, you might end up with a new window that doesn’t fit right.
The measurement must be kept nearest 1/16th of an inch and must be precise, so you should measure it at least twice just to be sure.
The measurements will depend on the shape of your window. Write down all the measurements so you can find RV side window glass replacements that fit.
- You only need to measure the length and width of the square and rectangular windows.
- For trapezoid-shaped windows, you will need to take six measurements: the length of each side and the width between two opposite corners.
Step 3: Measure the sidewall thickness
Most sidewall thickness usually measures between 1-¼ inch and 2-1/2inch. You need to note down the exact number for this, too.
So, to determine the window depth, you should measure from the inner wall of your RV to the outer wall surface.
Using your tape measure, insert the tape measure into the wall until it reaches the window frame outside. The window frame should not be included in the measurement.
Step 4: Take the corner radius (if only your window have rounded corners)
Many RV designs come with rounded corners, such as a Keystone RV window. If you own one, you will need to take one more measurement: the corner radius.
To determine the exact radius required for your camper window replacement, you may draw your template with a compass or print a radius measurement template.
You must be able to create a larger circle with a radius of 3.125 inches (7.94 cm) and a smaller circle with a radius of 2.5 inches (6.35 cm).
Afterward, put the template against the round corner of the window opening to see which radius matches it.
Step 5: Purchase your camper window glass replacement
After reviewing all the measurements, you are ready to purchase your replacement windows. But the question is, where can I buy RV windows near me?
Here are a few options on where you can get your RV windows:
- RV local dealership
- Online e-commerce sites such as eBay and Amazon
- Reliable RV windows manufacturer’s websites
However, in some instances, you may not be able to purchase a replacement window due to budget constraints, or you cannot conveniently access the options above. It may be possible to cut a replacement with plexiglass with the recorded measurements, until you are able to get a permanent replacement window.
Step 6: Install your new motorhome replacement windows
- Before installing your new window, ensure that the new RV window fits right by putting it in place without adding any sealant. The overlap of the RV’s exterior must be at least 3/8″ to the sidewall.
- Apply a sufficient layer of putty tape to the sidewall of your RV, right around the edge of the window opening.
- Then, spray water to make sure the rim of the window is wet. The water will help you position the window correctly before the putty sets. Now, place the window in position and press forcefully to bond the putty.
- Then, proceed inside to attach the window’s internal frame using the screws in the RV window repair kit.
- After the frame is in place, return outside and apply a silicone sealant around the window’s rim to completely seal the installation.
Whether you own a Class A motorhome, a campervan, or a traditional Keystone RV, it is more than simply a vehicle. A simple routine of preventive care and maintenance on your RV will be cost-effective and save you from any future inconvenience.
RV window replacement might look hard, but if you take your time and follow the steps on how to replace RV window glass in this guide, you can succeed in doing it yourself.
Welcome to a new journey! I am Rober Clark, also a full-time RV-er and currently exploring the US with Dane. I have four years of working as a contractor, so building a home inside the RV is an extremely rewarding task for me. I find new challenges and new limits to break every day.